Legal Updates Of The Week
– By Hitanshi Arora
Legal Updates basically emphasize the facts about the legal issues and news around the globe. It’s more or less how our world is governed and what are the new rules and regulations implemented or will be implemented by the different governments. There the legal updates of the current week are as follows:
1. Application To Correct Decree Can Be Maintained Only Before High Court Once Trial Decree Merges With HC Judgment: Supreme Court.
2. Land Acquisition Act 1894 – Injurious Affection To Property May Stand On A Different Footing From Injurious Affection To Earnings: Supreme Court.
3. Section 17A of Prevention of Corruption Act Not Retrospective; Not Applicable To FIRs Before 2018 Amendment: Supreme Court.
4. Supreme Court To Hear Appeal Challenging Madras High Court Order Quashing Criminal Proceedings Against Thiru Senthil Balaji In 2015 Job Scam Case.
5. Cannot Grant Any Credence To Compromise Entered Into After Conviction: Supreme Court Dismisses SLP Filed By Man Convicted U/Sec 354 IPC.
6. Delhi High Court appoints a committee headed by retired Justice Gita Mittal to manage the Table Tennis Federation of India.
7. Plea in Supreme Court against Kerala High Court order quashing FIR against former DGP Jacob Thomas‼
8. Supreme Court grants parole to accused of two days to attend sister’s wedding.
9. Saffron Scarves are not the same as Hijab Vs Rule of Law: 8 Experts speak on Karnataka HC order on Hijab Ban.
10. SEBI bars Anil Ambani from dealing in the securities market for siphoning off funds from Reliance Home Finance.
11. [Hospital admitting fake patients] Have you seen Munnabhai MBBS? Supreme Court to medical college.
12. Thanjavur student suicide: Supreme Court refuses to stay CBI probe but issues notice on a plea by TN DGP.
13. [Misconduct in service] Employee not absolved merely because he superannuated: Supreme Court.
14. Gujarat Freedom Of Religion Act: Supreme Court issues notice in a plea seeking restoration of Section 5.
15. [Delhi Riots] Three men to be charged for rioting, setting mosque ablaze in North East Delhi.
16. Section 30(5) Partnership Act Not Applicable To A Minor Partner Who Was Not A Partner At The Time Of His Attaining Majority: Supreme Court.
17. Delhi Govt vs Centre: Supreme Court Agrees To Hear On March 3 Issue Of Power Over Administrative Services.
18. Court U/Sec 34 Arbitration Act Can Remand Matter To Arbitrator For Fresh Decision If Both Parties Consented: Supreme Court.
19. Supreme Court Allows Future Retail Ltd To Approach Delhi HC To Seek Resumption Of NCLT Proceedings For Reliance Merger Scheme Approval.
20. Order II Rule 3 CPC Does Not Compel A Plaintiff To Join Two Or More Causes Of Action In A Single Suit: Supreme Court.
21. Police officers drinking Coca-Cola during court hearing asked by Gujarat High Court to distribute 100 Coke cans to Bar.
22. [Tribunal vacancies] “Bureaucracy taking it lightly:” Supreme Court unhappy with “knee-jerk” appointments.
23. “We may have to form Bench for Karnataka matters,” quips CJI NV Ramana after State seeks urgent hearing of mining case ‼️
24. [Yes Bank Scam] Delhi High Court issues notice to Enforcement Directorate in Rana Kapoor bail plea.
25. [Uphaar Cinema Tragedy] Delhi High Court refuses to suspend the sentence of Ansal Brothers in evidence tampering case 👀
26. Hijab Ban – Mediation Request Can Be Considered Only If Petitioners & Respondents Agree: Karnataka HC.
27. Industrial Dispute – Minority Union Not Bound By Settlement Between Majority Union & Employer: Supreme Court.
28. Lakhimpur Kheri Case: Bail Granted To Ashish Mishra Challenged In Supreme Court As A “Manifest Error’.
29. NDPS – Quantity Of Neutral Substance Not To Be Excluded While Determining ‘Small’ And ‘Commercial’ Quantities: Supreme Court.
30. No Coercive Steps Against Employers Under Haryana Law Providing 75% Job Quota For Locals Till HC Decides Validity: Supreme Court.
31. [2008 Ahmedabad blasts] 38 of 49 convicts sentenced to death by Gujarat court; 11 get life imprisonment.
32. Calcutta High Court dismisses PIL seeking removal of West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar.
33. Don’t register writ petition which does not set out specific grounds for relief: Bombay High Court to registry ‼️
34. Vikram Sampath moves Delhi High Court seeking ₹2 crore compensation from historians who accused him of plagiarism.
35. Madhya Pradesh High Court issues notice in BJP MLA’s plea for a gag order against the use of his name in reporting his son’s marital dispute.
36. “Lawyers notarising docs from parked vehicles, taxis:” Bombay High Court sends suggestions to Centre on Notaries Amendment Bill.
37. Reservation in promotions: The ball is again in the governments’ court.
38. Disputes involving fraud are arbitrable except when the arbitration agreement itself is vitiated by fraud: Bombay High Court.
39. [SEBI Regulations] Notice has the right to disclosure of material relevant to proceedings against him: Supreme Court.
40. [DRT Vacancies] “Central govt showing scant regard to hardships of litigants:” Kerala High Court.
41. Manan Kumar Mishra elected chairperson of Bar Council of India unopposed for 6th time‼️
42. AAP came to power demanding Lokpal but no Lokayukta in Delhi since December 2020: Ashwini Upadhyay moves Delhi High Court.
43. ‘Bhangi’ remark by Yuvraj Singh: Punjab & Haryana High Court quashes IPC charges but SC/ST Act charges to remain.
44. Is Hindi the national language? Bombay High Court says ‘yes’ to reject bail plea; Telugu accused moves Supreme Court.
45. Plea against loudspeakers in temples, mosques filed to affect communal harmony during polls: Allahabad High Court.